Wednesday, August 15, 2012

August Update

Dear friends,

I was overwhelmed by your response when I asked if anyone would be willing to help the Zion girls go to Scripture Union Bible camp this past week. They went and will even be covered for next time as well. I really appreciate your willingness and your generous hearts! Thank you!
The girls had an absolute blast at camp. They got home on Thursday so I went to visit them and find out how they enjoyed it. Everytime I asked someone "What did you learn at camp?" They immediately started rattling off Bible verses left and right. Here are some of the other things they shared with me:

"We learned how to study the Bible. We learned a song about sharing with friends to show God's love. And we had tea three times a day!" - Naomi

"We learned how to make friends, how to share with your friends, how to read the Bible, and how to have a quiet time: Pray, read, think, pray, and do!" - Jacky

"God taught me to know how to treat my friends." - Afosina

"We learned many things. They taught us four memory verses: Isaiah 43:19, Psalm 139:14, 1 Thessalonians 5:17, and Luke 10:27." - Nancy

I know that the girls learned a lot of important things last week. Isaiah 55:10-11 tells us that God's Word does not return to Him empty, but it accomplishes what He desires. Thank you so much for giving and praying for the girls.

The girls have about 3 full weeks left before they return to school, and we have lots of fun activities planned. Pray for each of the caregivers (Joyce, Harriet, Kevin) and myself as the girls are home all day every day. When the girls are in school, they leave very early in the morning (by 7) and return home at 5 or later.
Of course we spend time with them and teach them during the school terms, but the time we have with them when they are home during the holiday is so much more and we want to make the most of it. Pray that we would be creative and intentional about the time that we have for teaching and investing in them.
Some topics that we plan to cover include character building, how to be a good friend, conflict management, honesty, and making good choices. Pray for our lesson preparations as well as the girls' hearts!

Peter
If you remember in my last update, I mentioned a young man named Peter who is a former street kid, and is trusting God to provide for his needs. I met him through my friend Richard, who is starting a ministry to street kids here in Gulu. Many of you responded to my request for help for Peter as well and I want to say thank you! It has been so exciting to see how God has provided for him, and how his faith has increased over the last few months. During this holiday he is attending driving school so that he will have a source of income in the future. Next year he will finish primary school and will soon be making a decision between going on to secondary (high school) or taking more technical classes & training. I appreciate your prayer for the new ministry that Richard is starting, for Peter as he works hard to finish school, and for the other street children in Gulu & other parts of Uganda.

Blessings
Last month I was paid a visit by some other missionaries under Ripe for Harvest. One is my friend Ryan who has been serving in Kampala, and one is a new friend named Deb who serves in Kenya. It was so fun to get some time with them, do some touristy things around Gulu, and fellowship with friends who are also serving in East Africa and understand some of the challenges. I was thankful that they took the time to visit.
A couple of days after they left, another friend who used to live in Gulu came back to visit with a team and brought over not one, not two, but FIVE care packages from my friends & family. It was like Christmas, only in July. :) Both of these blessings came at just the right time. I have never been gone this long before, so it was nice to receive some encouragement from friends here and at home. Just wanted to thank God for His goodness and faithfulness in sending us just what we need at just the right time!

Future Plans & Financial Needs
I am wrapping up my work at Zion Project and returning to Tennessee in November for the holidays. I do not know what is next after that but I know that God is going to lead me and direct me to whatever He has next for me. I appreciate your prayers as I prepare to leave, that God would prepare my heart for saying goodbye to the Zion girls (and that He would prepare their hearts as well). Please also pray that I would make the most of the next 3 1/2 months and accomplish the things He has for me here before I go. I have several responsibilities in addition to the children's home, but I need wisdom for what to focus my time and energy on as I prepare to go.

I am so thankful for each of you and the ways you have played a part in my life and ministry here in Gulu. I am always amazed at the ways that God provides for me. There are a few ongoing financial needs that I have that are not covered in my current monthly income. If the Lord leads you to give, the information is below.

Current needs:
Plane ticket & travel home: $1,200.00
Visa extensions: $200.00
Insurance from June to November: $870

I am still a missionary under Ripe for Harvest, and they offer several ways to donate to my account (#318). You can donate by credit card or set up automatic recurring donations at their website by clicking here, or mail checks to:
Ripe for Harvest World Outreach
P.O. Box 487
Monument, CO 80132
(Make the check out to Ripe for Harvest. In the memo please write my name & account #318). IRS guidelines stipulate that contributions are made with the understanding that Ripe For Harvest World Outreach has complete control and administration over the use of the donated funds and that no goods or services are provided in exchange for said donations.)

Thank you so much for reading. Your prayers, support, and encouragement are so important and such a blessing.God bless you!
Much love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment