Friday, March 30, 2012

27 Million

27 million people. That's how many are estimated to be trapped in slavery. Not in the past.... not a hundred years ago....TODAY. Right now. Tonight as I get into my comfortable bed in my safe home with my full belly.... there are people who have been working for 12 hours straight without a break or a good meal. People who aren't allowed to leave the building where they work. People who are beaten, or tied up, or spit upon every day. Young girls who are forced to sleep with up to 10 men in a night without pay. There shouldn't even be a "Present Day" section under "Slavery" on Wikipedia, but there is.

I am turning 27 on April 16th. The thing I want most for my birthday is to be able to participate in the fight against modern day slavery. I plan to participate by raising awareness and inviting you to have a part by contributing financial support to an organization that is on the front lines.
My goal is to raise $270. Every dollar counts and even small gifts make a difference.




No comments:

Post a Comment