Saturday, October 10, 2009

GuluWalk Oct 24th

Hi Friends,
I don't know if you are familiar with GuluWalk, but it is an organization/annual event that raises awareness for the situation here in Northern Uganda. It began as a response to the war that occurred here over the last 23 years. Unfortunately I have never had the opportunity to participate, but this year I am very excited to be participating in GuluWalk IN Gulu.

In addition to raising awareness, this year GuluWalk is raising money to build a youth cultural centre in Gulu. I think that this is an important endeavor for a number of reasons. The youth here have been affected in many ways by the war. Neighboring tribes often look down on the Acholi people because of the war that occurred here, even though it was not their fault. Having a place that honors their culture will restore a sense of cultural pride. Having a place that encourages the arts, justice, and ultimately peace will have a great impact on the youth and everyone in the community. The youth here are daily faced with opportunities to make bad decisions or to fall into activities that can destroy their future. Having a place that provides good alternatives to these things is very important, and it is an area that is greatly lacking in Gulu.

GuluWalk is happening on Saturday, October 24th, in many cities around the world. You can check the website at
http://guluwalk.com/get-involved/cities/ if you are interested in getting involved. If you are unable to get involved yourself, but you want to help, feel free to look below at my request for support. You can support me in my walk for Gulu by buying a brick (or several) to help build the new cultural centre.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and for your interest in my work and Northern Uganda.
With love,
Sarah




Subject: Support me and buy a brick!


On Saturday, October 24, I am walking for the children of northern Uganda - - and I need your help.

Along with being a walker, I'm also a 'builder'. I'm selling bricks on my personal page that will go towards building a Youth Cultural Centre in northern Uganda.

The centre will include a theatre, a training centre and will be a central hub of activity in town that will promote locally led approaches to arts, culture, justice and ultimately peace.

In the midst of the country's 23-year conflict, it is the children of northern Uganda that have suffered most. This year GuluWalk is dedicated to providing a future for these youth.

I am walking for these children and to fundraise in support of the Gulu Youth Cultural Centre. Help me be a 'builder'. Donate a brick (or two).

Click on the link below to sponsor me now:

http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=2378802

Thank you in advance for your support!

-Sarah

1 comment:

  1. what a great opportunity!!!!! as always, i'm so proud of you, sarah dingus. love you!!

    ReplyDelete